A Personal Web Blog Built For Wigwam Fisherman

My Fishing Pal's Blogs Banner

Welcome to Wigwam Fisherman's Fishing Blog

The Cold Weather isn’t Stopping Trophy Walleyes from Being Caught on Lake of the Woods

posted on 10/14/2009
Good morning to all!

Welcome to another edition of the Wigwam Fisherman’s Blog. Well everyone, does it feel like winter yet? Yesterday we had our first good snow fall at the Wigwam Resort and it blew me away. I remember as a kid getting ready for Halloween in International Falls, and I would have to say at least 60% of the time we were just getting our first look at snow on the night of the infamous “trick or treat” (October 31st). I vividly remember dressing up as a hockey player probably 80% of the time, because I was always on my way to hockey practice…I’m sure that made it a little bit easier on my parents dressing up in the gear that I wore everyday from there on out, at least till the hockey season was completed in March. Where I’m going with this is, I can’t believe we got a nice snow fall on October 13th…that’s just crazy to me, but I am living in northern Minnesota now, where anything can happen on any given day, with respect to the weather that is. I hope that everyone enjoyed it as much as I.

Yesterday I was able share a few fishing stories with a few of our guests, and it looks as if the Walleyes are starting to plump up very nicely. The Walleyes have been moving there way further and further into Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River with each passing day. Along their journey into the Rainy River, these Walleyes are not missing out on any meals, that’s for sure. I have been able to see with my own eyes some very nice fat Walleyes, and every time I see one it makes me salivate. It just makes me want to fish even more and that I don’t need any help when it comes to motivation about fishing…just ask Tom Briggs…haha. If anyone is on the fence because of the weather, bundle up and get up, down or across to come fish Lake of the Woods…you won’t be disappointed.

I have been bouncing something off the staff at the Wigwam Resort and I would now like to bounce it off the readers of the blog, would anyone be interested in an “Ice Bash” this coming February…lets say February 19th & 20th? I would like to rap together an ice fishing tournament along with a boot hockey tournament, to be held at the Wigwam Resort. I have gone through a legal note pad already with ideas for sponsors, prizes, meal specials, etc., but with a ton of work putting it together still in front of me, I want to get “your” opinion on the idea. Please let me know what you think about it by sending me an e-mail to jp@wigwamresortlow.com. I look forward to hearing your ideas.

I will bring this up every day until we are there, but just a reminder to all of you that want to stay with us this up coming winter during ice fishing season…we are starting to fill up. If you want your places reserved at the Wigwam Resort, book now, or forever hold your peace. We are looking forward to a record breaking ice fishing season, for the amount of fish that will be caught on Lake of the Woods, don’t miss out on all the fun. Remember, every night during the winter is like a Saturday night. Be apart of all the excitement, only at the World Famous Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

Announcements…Every Vikings game this season, we will have a “Kill the Keg” special, specials on our bar dining menu, and prizes to give away. This will make for some pretty crazy Sunday afternoon/nights and Monday nights…LETS GO VIKINGS!!!!

Daily Fishing Report: Today we should see some snow showers with temps nearly steady in the mid to upper 30s with winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 40% chance of snow. Tonight should be variably cloudy with snow showers; low near 30F with winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 60% chance of snow. Tomorrow we should have variable clouds with snow showers that will mix with rain showers later, high around 40F with winds SE at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 60% chance of precipitation. Tomorrow night we should see rain and snow in the evening transitioning to snow showers late, low 32F with winds S at 5 to 10 mph…there will be a 50% chance of precipitation. Friday we should see both rain and snow, highs in the upper 30s and lows in the upper 20s. It should start to slowly get constantly warmer for a few days to follow. Today’s fishing report will come from our guides (Tom Briggs, Billy “The Sniper” Kloos and Kevin Olmstead) and be no different than yesterday’s report, besides for this. The south west side of Pine Island is really producing some nice looking fish. You want to be about 200 yards directly west of the “Big Pine” in 14 to 18 feet of water…anchor and jigging with Chartreuse, White/Gold or Gold jigs with frozen shiners as bait. The balance of the report will match yesterday’s report, so here we go. The fishing has been turned down a notch with this cold weather we have been experiencing of late. We have been finding some nice looking fish from Lighthouse/Morris Gap all the way through Four Mile Bay and into the Rainy River. The best method of catching those big buggers right now is anchoring and jigging. When jigging you will want to be using a 3/8 or ½ oz. jig and orange, chartreuse and white with frozen shiners have been the golden ticket! Shiners are being caught in the river, so they’re here and the Walleyes should also be there. I think we may just have to let this cold front take its course and the fishing should be rocking again in no time. With this cold weather the fish will be moving out of the deep water looking for a little bit warmer water and rocks to feed. As I always say though, when fishing the rocks, be ready to donate some tackle…risk and reward! The Shiner run will last till the middle of November, so if you don’t want to travel far and you want to catch some big fish, book today at the Wigwam Resort and experience some of the “BEST FISHING IN THE WORLD”! All this great fishing will take place right in front of the World Famous Wigwam Resort, in Four Mile Bay, right at the mouth of the Rainy River! Don’t miss out on this great fishing that we’re having on Lake of the Woods…come visit us today at the Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods!

My shout out today will go to John M. Carr "aka Jack" and Bud Vedder. These fine gentlemen are both longtime patrons of the Wigwam Resort and just visited us again a few days ago. They both were able to hook into some nice fish and it seemed as if they were having a blast, despite the cold weather. I just wanted to personally thank both of you for your loyalty and support towards the Wigwam Resort. I know that it is easy for anyone to choose any resort they want, but it’s very rewarding knowing that no matter what you are always faithful to the Wigwam. I hope that all your expectations were exceeded while visiting us on Lake of the Woods…THE BEST FRESHWATER FISHERY IN THE WORLD!!!!

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman aka Jean-Paul Tessier
Wigwam Resort

Wigwam Fisherman


Back To Wigwam Fisherman's Main Blog Page