I was struck by Lightening | Minnesota Fishing Forum - Unrelated

Fishing Reports Banner

Posts 1 through 4 for I was struck by Lightening

     

New? - Register Here!

No Obligations - Click Here for more information. Login

Main Forum Page     |     Fishing Blogs     |     Find a Fishing Partner     |     My Fishing Pals Home     |     To The Top - Minnesota Fishing Forum - Unrelated
You Are Currently Viewing - Minnesota Fishing Forum - Unrelated  
I was struck by Lightening - - - 4 messages. Showing 1 through 4.
WebDude
Moderator
Joined 02/26/2004
Posts:8490

WebDude's blogs, pictures and recent posts
Daily Subscription Msg 1 Posted: 10:10 AM 11/29/06 (CST)
Okay, this is strange, but I have to share this with you...

Yesterday, I stayed home for the first half of the day. I was down in the basement on the computer checking my email and, of course, this site. The basement is a cement floor and the desk that the computer is on is one of those old fashioned steel ones. My arms were resting on the desk and my hands were on the keyboard. I was wearing socks. There was lightening and thunder happening outside.

Now, all of this happened within a split second...

There was a flash of lightening.
There was a clash of thunder.
There was a loud "POP" sound.
My arms were zapped and flew into the air.
All the lights dimmed momentarily.

mmmmm... I think I just got hit by lightening. Nothing hurt and there were no burn marks, it was just very strange. After it happened, it took me a few seconds to realize what had happened.

About 15 minutes later, a firetruck, a firechief's pickup truck and 2 patrol cars appeared about 4 houses away. My neighbor went over there to see what happened. It seems that lightening had struck one of the trees in the back yard and they were checking it out.

Now, my conclusion is that the lightening hit that tree and traveled through the ground and zapped me. Probably filtered out in strength, but zapped me none the less.

Weird, Huh? ooo smiley



Webdudes Sig
My Fishing Pals facebook
WebDude's facebook
twitter
google+
nofishfisherman
Moderator
Joined 06/30/2005
Posts:2401

nofishfisherman's blogs, pictures and recent posts
Daily Subscription Msg 2 Posted: 10:17 AM 11/29/06 (CST)
Lightning will travel through the ground pretty easily.

Getting a shock like that is a strange feeling isn't it?

I was using an electric grill that was built into a counter top at my old apartment in college and got shocked 2-3 times from it. I was trying to grill chicken and I tried to flip it with a fork when the fork hit the metal of the grill it sent a shock up through my hand and it felt like it went out my elbow. The palm of my hand hurt where the fork was touching and my elbow hurt where the electiricity exited. It also caused my arm to fly all the way back uncontrolled.

It was a strange feeling indeed to have no muscle control for that split second.

Although the first jolt hurt I didn't learn my lesson and I kept grilling and got the shock 2 more times. I wasn't that bright, after the last jolt I felt like a puppy with a shock collar on and someone was trying to train me not to bark or in this case someone was training me not to use the electric grill.


CrappieKeith
Senior Member
Joined 03/27/2006
Posts:3862

CrappieKeith's blogs, pictures and recent posts
Daily Subscription Msg 3 Posted: 10:50 AM 11/29/06 (CST)
you were hit by a voltage that traveled through the ground.It can travel a few miles.With the water as the conductor & being you were not insulated you got a jolt for sure.You are lucky the electrical devices did not burn up.I.E.... computor.You should install surge protectors in your wiring main power panel.

The grill was most likely not grounded.Therefor you grounded it when you touched it & got the shock.Rubber soled shoes should have cured that one.



http://www.bucketrack.com/THEJig.html
IF IT'S WET...IT'S CATCH'N FISH
Iceman
Moderator
Joined 12/09/2004
Posts:2717

Iceman's blogs, pictures and recent posts
Daily Subscription Msg 4 Posted: 08:09 AM 12/01/06 (CST)
glad to your still kicking Web Dude..


I was struck by Lightening - - - 4 messages. Showing 1 through 4.
You Are Currently Viewing - Minnesota Fishing Forum - Unrelated  

New? - Register Here

No Obligations - Click Here for more information. Login

Main Forum Page     |     Top of This Forum     |     My Fishing Pals Home
Members Browsing
the Forums:
    Devin46290     dlskills_1     Fisherman81     ImFishing     InTheBrook     paulk     Raildick     TG     willcfish    
Users Online:9
Guests Online:63
Total Online: 72


Terms and Conditions